Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Angels still exist!

Today I don't really have anything stitching-related to write about - but instead I wanted to mention something that happened on another Yahoo group I belong to. Like everyone else, I've been watching with horror and despair the devastation left by hurricane Katrina on the Gulf Coast of USA. Today a posting was made by a group member that read:
"Hi all - I have been watching the news and am surprised at the depth of my feelings for those living along the gulf coast. I did something today that I didn't think I'd ever do. I don't have much money but wanted to donate to the cause. I was widowed many years ago and have kept (and still wear on occasion) the diamond ring my husband gave me for our engagement. I sold my ring yesterday and today I gave the $900 I received from it's sale to a local television station that was collecting. I'm a bit sad that I no longer have the ring, but I'm very glad that I was able to donate such a sum to the relief effort."

Wow, that just gives me goosebumps and a tear in my eye when I read that - it's amazing to me to read a story of such great compassion. When I despair sometimes that the world is 'going to the dogs', I will always remember this selfless act!

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home