Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Monday, May 15, 2006

SBQ and thanks

Thanks everyone for your generous comments about my needleroll(s) - a bit more explanation about Paula's needleroll ... the exchange was organised in two different parts - firstly you're told what colour preferences (if there were any) the final recipient had, then we had to send some thread and embellishments to the next person, and that person then had to stitch something for the final recipient using those items. Elanor, the thread that was used was a Gentle Art Sampler Thread in the colour of "Blueberry" - I had a skein of the same colour in my stash but it was almost grey when I took it out to compare ... the exchange skein was much more vibrant and beautiful in colour. The embellishments I received were some Mill Hill beads in blue ... it was definitely a challenge thinking of something with the threads and beads sitting in front of you - as I'd never tried anything like that before!

After my stitchfest yesterday, I've woken up this morning with a throbbing headache ... I seem to remember that happened last time, too, so I think I'm going to have to stop doing it :( Once I get back into my rotation again, I think it will be better, as I'll be stitching more regularly again. Mind you, I also slept for just over 11 hours last night, and woke up a bit sinusey, so that might be the other reason I have a headache. I've just taken a couple of tablets, so hopefully that'll nip it in the bud so it won't spoil my day off today.

I was going to drive into work today to check my PO Box, as apparently there's mail there that won't fit into the box ... but curiosity will have to wait, I think - with the price of petrol never going down, it's an expensive exercise if I don't have to go out for anything else - I'll just have to settle myself until tomorrow, then my curiosity can be put out of its misery LOL.

I forgot to answer last week's SBQ, so here it is for this week (better hurry up and get in before the next one arrives haha):

"When you stitch from a kit and use the supplied floss do you have leftovers? If so, how much and what do you do with them? If not, do you usually have just enough or do you have to dig into your stash to finish?"
I have to admit, this is one of the reasons I hate kits and will only rarely buy them - I often end up with leftovers of some of the flosses, but some of the colours invariably run out ... I've had that happen on three separate occasions, and it's as frustrating as heck! On each occasion the manufacturer sent me some replacement thread, but I had to put the projects on hold until it arrived. Some of the threads are appalling too, such as the Bucilla kit I did for a friend's baby - the yellow kept shredding, it was such poor quality. I swore blind I'd never buy another Bucilla kit ever again, and I've stuck to my guns there. As wasteful as it sounds, if it's cotton floss left over, I just chuck it out - if it's silks, then I keep it 'just in case'. In the case of the M Designs Thistle Bag that was gifted to me by Toby, there was just enough of the silk threads for Von to stitch another one, which was awesome! I love Moss Creek Designs' kits - they have full skeins of each thread (mind you, they're also extremely expensive!).

4Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

It certainly sounds challenging coming up with a plan presented with a specific thread and beads. The result is gorgeous though! I love your needlerolls.

I recently started a Bucilla kit. I hadn't purchased one before, and I will never purchase one again. I don't think I will even finish this one. I must say, I was very disappointed with the threads.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh boy! I hear you about the petrol (or gasoline, as we call it!). We had another price spike on Friday - now it is fully up to $3 a gallon for the lowest grade... I don't go off my path between home and work anymore unless I have to!! This drives me crazy - the earth continues to make plenty of fuel....

1:59 PM  
Blogger Von said...

Stitching is so enjoyable, but not so much that it's worth a migraine! Hope your headache was nipped early.
I totally agree with you about kits, especially most of those you can buy at the large hobby stores. I've had much better luck with kits put together by the designers.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Mel in Dubai said...

Anne, your needlerolls look fabulous!!

4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home