Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Stitching Bloggers Question(s)

I've been very slack since joining this group, and now is the time to clear the backlog of questions:

19 Oct 05 - Today's "Stitching Blogger's Question" was suggested by Cathy and is:
Do you mark or hi-lite your patterns or can you follow them without any markings? Do you make copies to mark up, or do you mark originals?

I go cross-eyed trying to follow charts, so I definitely need to mark up a chart. Usually I make a working copy that I blow up on the photocopier to make it easier to read - and use a highlighter to track my progress, so I know exactly where I am on the chart. I used to mark my originals with a pencil when I first started stitching, but I got out of that habit very very quickly. Using a marking copy also makes it easier to go back and see the original for backstitching - although I've also been known to use a sharpie marking pen to trace over the backstitching too, if it's a particularly difficult chart to follow.

12 Oct 05 - Today's "Stitching Blogger's Question" was suggested by Outi and is:
How do you `non-hoopists' who use a rotation system handle it (as it seems to be lot easier if you are in good terms with hoop)? Do you have several scroll frames? Do you use Q-snaps or maybe something completely different? Or do you just have one or two big projects and others are small enough to be kept in hand while stitching?

Unfortunately I get cramp in my left hand when using a hoop - an old hangover from RSI as a secretary. I use scroll rods for almost everything I stitch - if a piece of fabric is too small to attach to the rods on their own, I stitch some calico onto the edges and make it big enough to fit! I just dragged out my sole set of Q-snaps recently and enjoyed using it, and I'm trying it on one of my rotational pieces, to see how I like it on a larger project. I have a decent number of scroll rods, and leave my projects on them inbetween stitching - it just means if I want the set of scroll rods they're on for another project, I just have to finish that one off first! (Well, that's the theory!!)

6 Oct 05 - Today's "Stitching Blogger's Question" was suggested by Bea and is:
When you have almost finished a pattern and start thinking about the next one to stitch, how do you select it? (a list, most recent purchase, etc.)

Depends on my mood, really - I'm trying really hard to finish off some very old UFO's, so I'm tending to think of the next UFO I feel comfortable picking up again. Then again, I'm also in the stash enhancement mode at the moment as well, and keen to start some fresh, new projects. Depends what calls to me the most when the time is ready ... I don't have any stitching deadlines at the moment, so I just stitch what I feel like stitching - whether it's new or old. Whatever gives me the greatest joy of the moment - 'cos that's what it's all about, enjoying what you stitch.

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home