Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Yet another happy dance!


Yippee, I put the final stitches into another festive piece today - I did about 2/3 of the stitching during Thursday, but didn't get to finish it until today as I had a visitor to stay. Originally I stitched this to try out a flat-fold finish - but I'm not sure whether the dimensions might be too big for that style of finish ... if so, I'll try a quilted wallhanging instead. The dimensions are 14cm x 20cm - if anyone has had experience with these methods of finishing, I'd really love some advice before I start ... This piece has been sitting in my stash for years, so it's nice to finally drag it out and stitch it up - I think the red thread is a bit 'odd' ... I used the recommended threads, but my skein is a very stark difference between the bright red and plum/burgundy colour, with no subtle graduations - I wouldn't mind stitching it again with a different red thread, but in the meantime it will be good to practice my finishing on. The chart is called "Merry Christmas" by Bent Creek, and it's stitched on Platinum Belfast linen. I love the tree - but I'm also wondering what it would look like all stitched over-one ... hmmm ...

As for my visitor - I was thrilled to have the company of my best male mate Fraggle (his nickname ... and considering he now knows about my blog, I'm sure he'll be thrilled for me to use his nickname here, as he loves it so much LOL). He came over after work and stayed the night ... it was a very relaxing night of a couple of vodkas (for me) and beers (for him) with pizza and a comedy DVD. It was lovely to catch up properly, as we haven't had chance to do that ever since I moved out of our flat 4 months ago. And don't worry Mum, I'll make sure you still have beers in the fridge for your arrival next week haha. Fraggle said he was going to tell our old flatmate he's decided to move in with me instead ... it really was a nice relaxing night. We have the sort of friendship where you feel comfortable to 'bare all' and talk about anything under the sun, and just feel comfortable to hang out ... he never fails to make me laugh - that's the main thing I've missed since moving out ... his wacky sense of humour. He's also the only person I know who can talk my head off in the mornings without me wanting to shoot him haha (nope, NOT a morning person). Anyway, Fraggle, thanks for a great night ... you're welcome back any time :)

Well, my rotation has gone out the window the last few days ... it's time for the Dratteds to return, but I'm putting it off until next weekend, when I'm using them for a Stitch-a-Thon - plus I've been putting off a job of frogging for weeks and weeks ... I was so disheartened in a gift I was stitching for someone that I stuffed up, that it got put aside until I could face it again. Well, now I've decided there are no more excuses, I just have to bite the bullet and get the damned thing done! Unfortunately it was stitched when I was feeling very sick with my month of headaches etc ... I finally managed to finish the stitching, after a real struggle, but it looked pretty nice ... then ironed it before it was finished ... with a hot setting ... right over the top of the blending filament ... doh! Serious blonde moment!! So, all that lovely twinkly stuff that looked so gorgeous just happened to disappear almost entirely - there is still a tiny bit of sparkle left, but I was so disheartened I found I couldn't bring myself to still finish it off and send it ... and it's been sitting on the kitchen table mocking me ever since!! So, my challenge for the next two days is to unpick 2/3 of the stitching (ie all the blending filament and backstitching) and get it into a state fit for posting next week ... I'm not religious, but I'll be praying this time I do it right!! OK, here goes ... wish me luck! :)

11Comments:

Blogger Rowyn said...

Love your Xmas HD. What a shame about the blending filament - making mental note to self 'never iron blending filament'! :-)

7:16 PM  
Blogger Nicole & Phil said...

haven't been around much in the last month. Lot sof stuff happening, and Phil took the cable that links the camera to the computer on his 3 week trip to Aust?? don't know why?? So I had a lot of posts in the draft mode until I could attach photos! back on track now! All yur stithcing is looking great!!!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Kali said...

Love your finish :) I think it will look great as a hanging. That's really rotten about the filament. Its actually never occured to me that you couldn't iron it, I've always by habit ironed from the back but I'm filing that info away to remember.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Oh Anne, NO!! I can't believe you did that!! I always use an ironing cloth over any embroidery, old or new - when I am ironing them, so they don't get damaged. I can well imagine how you feel...I'd be tempted to chuck the whole thing in the bin! Or take it to an opshop for some poor fool to find and fix - lol!

1:40 AM  
Blogger BeckySC said...

It looks great, Anne :) I have made flat folds from all different sized projects. It looks to me like it would be a great flat fold :) Good luck with whatever you choose to do with it-I am sure it will be great!

2:40 AM  
Blogger Shelleen said...

Love the finish. Sounds like you had a great time with your friend :-)

2:46 AM  
Blogger Von said...

Oh Anne! My heart is breaking over the melting of your blending filament! As stated earlier, a press cloth is a good idea - and a lower temperature, lol!
So glad to hear you had a cheery visit with your friend :)

5:26 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Fun BC finish, Anne!! I'm curious if your friend got his nickname from Fraggle Rock or somewhere else.

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anne this is your cousin Anita.
Too bad about the blending filament. One thing stitching teaches you is patience doesn't it. Will read through the other days and catch up with your life.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Nancy in IL said...

Anne, just love your Bent Creek finish, and I have to say I disagree about the looks of the red floss. I think it looks wonderful! I like hand-dyed that has a big differential. Looks cool!

I don't know if I'd like to do the dratteds either, but I love that design. Judith Romijri from The Netherlands did this one, and it is a realistic beauty to behold. I would never give this one away---no way!

I HATE BF, but I had no idea it would melt when pressed. I guess I learned a lesson at your expense. Yikes!

Anyway, as for the quilted wallhanging, I've done lots of those, and they have more character and are much cheaper than framing. The Bent Creek would look great that way!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Glad to hear you had such a nice night! Your Bent Creek piece is adorable - congratulations!!! Now, I don't want to hold you up, but would you say maybe March or April to start the Egypt Garden would work for you - or are you dying to get back to it??

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home