Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Miserable weather

We've had torrential downpours for the last 48 hours here in Melbourne (well, in my neck of the woods, anyway), and a definite drop in temperature again. It would be very conducive to stitching, except the light in my flat is appalling when the weather's like that ... but at least it's helped give me an excuse to continue kitting a few projects up from my stash, as well as getting some housework done, like stripping my bedding etc and getting my laundry washing done. I also got a leg of lamp all de-boned and chopped up and marinating in yoghurt overnight yesterday - so tonight I have to cook it all up, for my new favourite curry recipe ... this version of Rogan Josh became an absolute fave in our old flat when I made it for a dinner party for friends ... just divine, and the meat just melts in your mouth! In fact, seeing as I don't have any stitching progress to post yet again (but hopefully that'll be changed tomorrow, as that's going to be my main stitching day!), I think I'll share the recipe here ... rightio, here goes:

ROGAN JOSH

1kg diced lamb
1 cup (250ml) yogurt
1 tablespoon malt vinegar
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons ghee
4 cardamom pods, bruised
3 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
2 medium onions (300g), finely chopped
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground fennel
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
3/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves

1) Combine lamb, yogurt, vinegar, half the garlic and half the ginger in large bowl; mix well. Cover, refrigerate 3 hours or overnight (I always do it overnight).
2) Heat ghee in large pan, add whole spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant.
3) Add onions and remaining garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until onions are browned lightly.
4) Add ground spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add lamb mixture, stir to coat in spice mixture.
5) Add stock; simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Remove cover; simmer about 30 minutes or until lamb is tender. Just before serving, stir in garam masala and fresh herbs; heat through.
Serves 6 to 8

Actually, I think that'll be perfect for dinner tonight - something warm and hearty to fight the winter chills that are in this flat! Unfortunately the ducted heating flame has gone out, and I need the landlord to come and fix it (gas heating scares the hell out of me, and I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm not touching it!) - so my flat is like an icebox today, and I'm wrapped up in my trackpants and warmest sweatshirt and furry slippers ... definitely won't be winning any fashion awards today, but it's comfy ;P

And the finish the post, here's another travel piccie - this time of Government Gardens, Rotorua, New Zealand. Hope you're all having a lovely Easter :)

10Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I don't know where I've been these past couple of days that I missed these wonderful posts but I'm really happy for you that life is coming together. I enjoy your sense of humor about life (and stitching). Have a wonderful holiday!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

First time I visited your blog and that pic of New Zealand looks great.
I have one question for you. How do you do that progress% of your sritching on the sidebar of your blog

1:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

mmm love Rogan Josh! thanks for sharing recipe.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Running Kiwi said...

The Rogan Josh sure sounds good ... I'm going to have to print that out and keep it, my biggest son would love me if I made it ;)

Congratulations on the job front - you sound really happy, I'm really pleased for you - you deserve it!

Enjoy your stitching when you get to it!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I will probably sound like I live in a hole, but what is Ghee and garam masala? I am guessing from the tiny amounts they are some sort of spice? This sounds like a interesting dish!!!

Happy Easter Anne!

Love,
Connie

8:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I will probably sound like I live in a hole, but what is Ghee and garam masala? I am guessing from the tiny amounts they are some sort of spice? This sounds like a interesting dish!!!

Happy Easter Anne!

Love,
Connie

8:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry for the double post...blogger was acting up this afternoon!! I have finished making up the Easter presents for my kids and granddaughter, and the whole extended family will be at my parents house for Easter/Birthday dinner tomorrow afternoon. There will be 21 of us this year!!! Our weather has been cold and nasty the last few days too, not very spring like temperature wise!

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are curry fiends in this house too. Especially the hottest vindaloo. When we go to a Thai restaurant (another fav) we always have 'thai hot' - the hottest of the hot - we get very odd looks. Im sure your dinner will warm you up :0 Then you will gget a bit more stitching done :)

10:13 AM  
Blogger Bastet said...

lamb rogan josh? I'm coming over to your place! I'm the only one who will eat that or the Saag. There's two resturants that sell it in Portland and only one does it justic (IMHO) Wish I had the temperment to try and cook it for one.
hugs!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe for Rogan Josh! That's one of those things I order out often, but have never tried making at home. I need to put that on the "to do" list.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home