Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Just a Thought ... and Selfish Stitching

This is something I've been thinking about for a number of weeks, and wondered what you all think about it. There are times during the year when some of my fellow bloggers are down and I'd love to pop a small RAK (random act of kindness) or pick-me-up in the mail, or even a 'just because' small gift, but they don't have a wishlist etc on their blog, or I don't have their address details etc. And trying to wade through past posts in the archives to work out what their favourite colours and designers are is time-consuming and sometimes not fruitful. Well, I started wondering about having a 'central register' of those small details.

A lot of times when you join up with a new online group, especially for exchanges, you'd complete a small questionnaire, with your likes and dislikes etc - and other BB's such as The Wagon have a wishlist section, and things for 'small RAKs' that you'd enjoy receiving. Anyway, if people are happy to join in, I'm happy to set up a post on my blog where everything will be listed in one place with all the information for my fellow bloggers. The only thing that wouldn't be listed would be the full name and address details ... but I'd keep a central register personally and you can email me for those details if you want to send a RAK to someone. This is just in the early planning stages right now, but what do you think?

The sort of information I'm thinking of collating at this stage are: (updated with Cindy's suggestion)

First/screen name:
Blog name/URL:
Fave colour:
Fave designers:
Fave styles of designs/stitching styles:

Fave thread types/brands:
Fave fabrics:
Any dislikes (eg colours, design styles etc):

Pets/children:
Birthday:
Wishlist URL:

Any small RAK's that would be enjoyed (eg tea sachets, stationery, chocolate, etc):
Fave Holidays:
Holidays not liked/celebrated:

Anyway, like I said, it's just a thought I've been having recently. If you
don't think it would be useful, let me know - likewise if you think it's a good idea and you'd like to join in, also let me know (and if you think there should be any questions removed/added). If you'd like to go ahead and sign up for it straightaway, just drop me an email to shakatak at iinet dot net dot au, and I'll start loading them up (don't forget to include your full name and mailing address for my records). I'll pop a hyperlink in my sidebar to where the list will be located permanently for easy access :D Eventually I'd like to build a website with the info, but that's a wee way away just yet, seeing as I need to work out just how to do that :)

Now onto the selfish stitching part of the post - on Friday afternoon I started stitching Coffee Menu by LHN, and making pretty good progress so far. After stitching on and off all day yesterday (I had a 3-hour 'nana-nap' in the afternoon), I'm just over halfway now - I just want to change the wording of "Hazelnut" to "Macchiato" ... I don't know why, but Hazelnut coffee just never sat well with me, so Nicki gave me the idea to change it to something else - one of the guys at work always drinks Macchiatos, so I thought that would be a good choice, and it would be similar in word size too. Hopefully I'll get this finished on my days off (today and tomorrow), then I'm picking up Sapphire Star to start on.




I must say I feel a lot brighter these days - still not quite firing on all cylinders, but a lot better than I did. The thing that sent me 'over the top' misery-wise last weekend was that was the weekend my best friend was in Australia, and I was absolutely miserable that I couldn't see her. She had brought her new baby Jayden with her who I haven't had chance to meet yet, so all-in-all I was super depressed about it all. It just means I have to make an extra effort to try to get to Nelson next time I go home to visit - which will mean flying to Christchurch and hiring a car, so I'll have to save up big time for that!

Anyway, that's all I have for today - hopefully the next post will be to show Coffee Menu all finished! :)

21Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Pacific Pohutukawa (in your sidebar). Can it be bought online?

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness, you zipped right along on Coffee House. I just love that piece and hope to finally pull it out of my stash soon for my kitchen.

BTW, my Bordeaux Sampler will be coming out to play tomorrow. I am so looking forward to joining you and Carol on your SAL:)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Great idea for the "central register"! I'll send you an e-mail :)

You are screaming along on your new start...and I think it's great that you are thinking about making modifications to personalize it!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I love your idea! I would join up! I feel the same frustration when I am making gifts too. I love your start on Coffee Menu!! I didn't get to work on Bordeaux this weekend, but sure hope to in the next few days... maybe.... I hope!!

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure had a lot to catch up with on your blog this evening! What a time you're having lately. I know that with time, patience, and humor you will reestablish your slush fund - hang in there, dear friend.

Having an information clearinghouse of bloggers would be a wonderful thing, Anne. Great idea.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your idea Anne of a central database.
And Coffee Menu looks great. It's in my UFO pile and I really should pick it up.
Annemiek

7:33 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

The idea of a central database is brilliant, Anne!

And coffee menu is looking fabulous!

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Barbara said!! :-)))

8:46 PM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Wow Anne, what a grand idea!! Bless your heart for thinking of it.

Your Coffee Menu is looking great... You've made such great progress! (((hugs)))

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne, what a great idea!!

What a beautiful start on Coffee menu!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love your idea Anne! It is really kind of you to offer the time to set something like this up too.

Coffee Menu looks great btw! :)

12:10 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Coffee Menu is really zipping along...and I love macchiato's.

And I love your idea of the clearing house. How great of you to offer to set this up for everyone! I'm off to sign up!!

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coffee house is looking gorgeous Anne, great progress

1:01 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Coffee Menu looks fantastic, the more I see it the more I love this design! I love your idea of a central storehouse for people's info...that would sure be useful!

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea, Anne, you are so generous!

Hugs

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea. Finally could comment, somehow it didn't work for awhile.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

What a great idea Anne , your Coffee House Menu is looking gorgeous.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

go Anne, the way your turbo needles are flying Coffee Menu will be done in no time flat, and what a perfect choice for some "selfish" stitching :)

Thats a fantastic idea for the database too.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

What a kind, generous and big heart you have! I would be more than willing to participate if you got it up and going. You are a sweetheart! :D
BTW, Coffee Menu is amazing! That is some major progress that you've done!
:D

9:16 AM  
Blogger Meari said...

I like your idea for a central register!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Schokti said...

Great idea, Anne! I will take part as well.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home