Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanks for the comments

Seriously, thanks for all the support - it's very unusual for me to get so down for this long ... it's just a case of riding the storm until the weather calms, which will hopefully be by Christmas ... hopefully. I'm very lucky in that Mum's taught me to be a packrat where food's concerned, and I have a tall chest freezer for bulk meat etc, so at least I haven't gone hungry so far, even if my menu has had to be substantially altered for a while.

For Alison - I don't have a monthly budget, in that I automatically pay bills as soon as they come in, and know what's normally due to come out ... so whatever is left at the end of the month is technically 'free', and things are not usually this bad. Unfortunately, though, I had $1000 sitting in the bank and blew it on our Hong Kong trip, so I don't have a 'back up' for emergencies any more. Even that would have been fine as there should be sufficient to pay the bills, but having my car keep breaking down and costing about $300 overall, plus a very unexpected $500+ tax bill all of a sudden due (not to mention the $120+ parking fine - and extra money spent on a dinner party), and "I'm screwed" to put it very bluntly. Normally paying bills are fine - some pays I have a small bit left over, other pays I have some extra spending money ... but all this lot came totally out of left field, and I was unprepared for it.

It also means I'm gonna be frugal for a while longer even when things do even out a bit again, so I can get some emergency money behind me again, then next time I won't be so desperate :( So when I can get back to decent grocery shopping, I'll still be eating cheaply for a while longer.

For Maria S., KarenV & Nicki - I have to admit I probably will continue to make my ornies for those special people, but I may now wait until after Christmas and continue stitching them again ... and I might take on the suggestion of a "cheer me up" new project. I've been seriously itching to pick up LHN's Coffee House Menu, so perhaps that's what I should do - and take my mind off ornaments and my rotation for the time being. My ornies will eventually be posted, just not in time for Christmas this year. Maria, your comment about not eating while stitching gave me a smile this morning :)

Nela - Thanks so much for your beautiful words, they are so much appreciated :)

I've even been looking at other areas to cut back this year - I've thought for a few years now that I don't know why I bother sending Christmas cards etc to most of my UK rellies, as I never hear anything from them in return - I'd rather spend the postage on people who actually give a damn about staying in contact ... that'll be a decent saving in itself over time. So this year is the last year I send to 'everyone' (in fact I might make two lists of rellies, and may not send to everyone this year either), and no longer will they get the colour family newsletter on photo paper that I take care to publish and send every year - those with email will be getting it as a .pdf file this year, and any of my UK rellies that don't send me a card this year will be removed from the future mailing lists ... Mum's doing the same thing too. With the cost of the cards, photo paper, colour ink cartridges, and postage it costs $100-$200 each year to send them out, which is just ludicrous, and I'd rather spend the money on those that I want to.

I even said to Mum perhaps I should go back to dial-up, as well, to cut the costs - but that will be an absolute last resort, as my computer access is my life-blood at the moment ;) It's a shame I can't do it without a home phone, as I barely use that at all, and that'd be a $40 saving every month - I could survive on just my mobile hmmm.

What hasn't helped is the news saying the lack of rental properties in Melbourne is likely to see up to a 40% increase in rental fees next year, which really cheers me up no end ... and I would be well and truly beggared then! It's been depressing me thinking I may also have to consider moving into shared accommodation if this happens ... for those of you who know some of my past experiences here with flatting with Fraze's mates, you know how much that scares and depresses the pants off of me. Add to that the news reports mentioning a possible takeover bid for our company, and that doesn't fill me with positivity about job security either ... admittedly that's very very new, and it may not have any initial impacts even if it did go ahead, but in our industry nothing is ever safe and speculations have already commenced ... perhaps you could have waited until after Christmas to drop that little bombshell on us all, management team :(

Anyway, even with this loooong post tonight, it's still likely that I won't be posting quite so often for a short while - I'm very aware that my blog isn't full of the joys of spring at the moment, and I don't want to come on here and moan about everything every day ... I hate being so down in the dumps in my posts, and I'd rather put those thoughts to one side for now. Aside from that, I've had stress headaches every single day for the last couple of weeks, and sitting at the computer screen all day, then again at night, doesn't really help matters much.

Thanks again for your words of support ... I promise to be perkier before Christmas, honest! :)

14Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Hugs* Anne

Things will work out one way or t'other.

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your financial problems ease in the New Year. Like you I'm a single gal trying to make it alone and it certainly ain't cheap. Moving back into shared accommodation probably isn't the answer either.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Schokti said...

My thoughts are with you, Anne! I hope things get straightened out for you soon!

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad my little comment about eating and stitching brought a smile to your face :-) Years ago in a stitching mag, there was an article and picture of a man who wanted to stop smoking. He took up stitching. Finished a huge barn project and I mean huge and kicked the habit.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Dear Anne, I am so sorry things are still not looking up for you... How I wish I could do something!

You are such a caring, generous, warm-hearted person - it breaks my heart to see all this happen to you :(
You told me it's not as if you or a close friend/relative was ill, or anything, but still... Money troubles do bring about a LOT of stress and really do spoil some of the joy in life.
Besides I know how undeserved all those troubles are... which is making me even sadder - as well as angry at those of your acquaintances who haven't been reliable.
In response to Alison's comment... Lucky are those who can establish a monthly budget! unfortunately that is not possible for everyone... when you have the bare minimum, well, you have the bare minimum.

Like Karen, I think you are taking the right decision concerning your relatives... It's tough, but wise.

How very, very kind of you by the way, to still find it in you to post such sweet comments about Robin... You are quite a special lady ((((hugs))))

Please do tell if I can help in any way. If there is any kind of French treat that may help make you smile... Do tell! You know I mean it :)

Starting a new cheer-up project is a great idea :)

((((Anne)))) Keeping you in my thoughts!

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{hugs}}}

4:24 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Hi Anne ,sounds like you have some good ideas on belt tightening certainly sending cards to people who don't respond seems like a good area to change, everyone goes through rough patches and I think its great that you can share it here ,don't feel you need to cheerful when your not .Hope the rest of the week goes well.

5:40 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Aha! Persistence does pay off (Blogger wouldn't let me comment). I sent you an email Anne. And here are some extra hugs ((((Anne!)))).

6:04 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Hi Anne. I just wanted to let you know that you have been in my thoughts. Hang in there, it will get better. It always has to get worse before it gets better it seems and I think that you are in the "worse" stage now, so things should look up soon.

We are all here if you need us!

: )

P.S. I hear you about the ticket issue...we just got one from our trip to AUS, I blogged it.

8:22 AM  
Blogger vee said...

Anne, sorry to hear that you are struggling with the "more month than money" problem. Lots of virtual hugs and good wishes from me!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Big hugs to you! It is an especially hard time of year to be having a hard time (if you know what I mean). I was in that spot the last two Christmases and it was very hard. Good for you at looking at ways you can save a little (postage, etc. on cards). Be good to yourself and know that it will get better. You're a great gal, and I sure appreciate you!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Lana said...

I totally understand the whole card thing, I got to the point now where I do a "Recieve/Return" thing, where when someone sends me one, I send one back. If they don't send, they don't recieve!
Hang in there! Hugs!
~Lana~

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there Anne. I'm having a crap time with finances too at the moment.

My phone company failed to tell me they had cancelled the direct debit by mistake and just cut me off(didn't know I owed them, seeing as they take it automatically from my bank. In the past 6 days, I have written 9 complaint letters and today I found an apology letter, along with a separate letter telling me they were cutting me off. It's back on now, but I have to find £110 for just over 2 months owing :(

{{{hugs}}}
Heather

4:19 AM  
Blogger Meari said...

I can totally relate to relatives not 'giving a damn' to even send a Christmas card. I've been contemplating not sending certain relatives cards, too. Why waste your time and money on people who don't care enough to send you one? I get more cards and gifts from my online stitching friends, than I do certain relatives!

I wish I had room for a freezer. I'd be putting away much more food, and it'd be easier on the budget.

I'm pretty frugal, and people laugh at the things I do. But hey, I'm saving money and living pretty well. People over all waste a lot of resources. Sounds like you're getting a good handle on tightening the belt. It will get better. :)

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home