Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

SBQ's and small finishes

Between Blogger and my stupid modem, it took me almost 5 hours to load up the Hong Kong photos and blog post yesterday ... hopefully this post will be a bit quicker!! (And as it turns out, Blogger won't upload piccies today, so I'm having to use Photobucket mutter mutter mutter ...)

Firstly, here's the little ornament I stitched while I was away - it's Teddy Bear Stocking by Lorri Birmingham ... just for a change there were errors on the chart, which drives me crazy, so a bit more frogging than normal while trying to fix it hmmm - but all-in-all, I think it's quite cute, and I enjoyed stitching it. Mum's decided she loves it so much she wants to stitch one for herself as well ... way to go, Mum, you're almost more addicted to stitching than I am now! :D
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also managed to finish one more ornament last night that I started while in HK ... this is the first in the Beyond Cross Stitch series of Hardanger designs by The Victoria Sampler, "White Christmas" - the photo doesn't do justice to all the sparkles of the metallic thread.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now on to the backlog of SBQ's ...

20 July - Today's SBQ was suggested by Cathy and is:
"When you get a project professionally framed do you get glass inserted into the frame? Why or why not?"
I've always had my framing done professionally, and with glass - but to be honest, I prefer the look of embroidery without the glass. I left the glass off my "Waiting for Ships" mermaid to do more justice to the metallics and beads, and I'll probably do the same with future pieces as well. Seeing as I don't smoke, and hate smoking in the home, it's not as much of an issue to leave the glass off. It's also then less of an issue when moving house so things don't get broken ... I learnt that by personal experience very recently when my Wessex Sampler was sitting in the aircraft hold with fragile stickers all over it, and well packaged up ... hmmm.

26 July - Today's SBQ was suggested by Von and is:
"Many of us have a few pairs of embroidery scissors and some even have a "collection". How many pairs of scissors do you have? Feel free to share a photo of your favourite pair or pairs with us!"
I don't really have many scissors anymore (two pairs have mysteriously disappeared!!) - one pair is really half-dead, and I just use them for my metallic threads now (and an odd embroidery thread when I'm desperate to find another pair). My absolute favourites were my Gingher's, which I'd ordered from the USA about 7-8 years ago, but very stupidly left them in my carry-on bag last year when I flew home, and they got confiscated :( (I didn't realise I'd packed 2 pairs - very conscientiously popped my crappy pair into the suitcase, and left my good ones that were in hiding at the back of the needlework case boohoo). I bought a new pair about 6 months ago, but when Mum started stitching in May I gave them to her to start up her stitching kit. When I come to think about it, I really really need to get some more, as I only have one good sharp pair anymore - which is the one I've taken a piccie of :( The only other pair I have are more for ornamental purposes - they're too small for me to use comfortably, but I love the little hanging sheath for them - too cute! I keep thinking about ordering another pair of Gingher's from Nordic Needle (plus I really want some of the coloured scissors too), but their postage scares me too much haha. One day I'll get around to it again ... anyone know a good source for them that has reasonable postage?? ;)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 August - Today's SBQ was suggested by Carol and is:
"Do you have a favourite needlework tool that you like to work with? What is it and why do you like using it?"
Only one??? Hmmm, that's a hard call ... personally I'll be hard pushed to decide between my floorstand and my Ott-lite - both of which are almost essential for me. I have difficulty holding a hoop/Q-snap in hand, and can't stitch in hand, as I get cramps, so anything that holds my scrollbars or Q-snaps is the most essential item for me (come to think about it, you'd better include those scrollbars as my favourites too!!). Coming up next are my Do-lolly for feeding in those tiny threads on the back (great for boo-boos when you don't have much thread left on the back to play with!), and
my Tacky Bob which is wonderful for beading (thanks to Carol, who sent it as a birthday gift - I love it!).

9 August - Today's SBQ was suggested by Ami and is:
"For those of you who use hand or over-dyed floss, how do you store it?"

I use Floss-away bags for my over-dyeds, with each type of thread (eg GAST, WDW, NN etc) on their own small metallic ring - then all the small rings are put onto a large ring so all my over-dyeds are grouped together ... I do that with all my types of threads, including metallics, rayons etc - then all the rings are stored together in plastic tubs.

12Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I end up needing your assistance with the album, I bet we could work something out for some scissors and stuff. ;)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Sylvie said...

Lovely finishes.

Your scissors fob is absolutely gorgeous!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,

Regarding framing the thing that worries me the most about having no glass is fly poop!! I hate it on the light fittings, can you imagine my face if my 'work of art' had fly poop on it!!! Yuck!! Maybe you don't get flies there!!

The HK pics are great. I am glad you had a great time.

hugs

Coral

8:09 PM  
Blogger Karoline said...

A couple of lovely finishes, congratulations

12:25 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Your projects turned out great! Very lovely. :D

Love the HK story and pics! Sounds like you had a fantastic trip. Makes me want to see it myself. :D

1:58 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Your ornaments turned out so pretty!! The little stocking ornie looks *very* familiar. I just finished assembling the snowman version last weekend. ;) I was afraid the finishing was going to be fiddly, but it turned out to be quite easy. :)

4:16 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Both pieces are great - the stocking ornament is so cute!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love both the ornaments, well done Anne. How is the beard done on the Santa?

8:08 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Lovely finishes, I especially like the white Christmas ornament!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Love that pansy fob that
is attached to the scissor.
Couldl you tell me what
pattern is this?

I was born in Hong Kong
but the last time I was
there was 1983. It is
an amazing city to visit.

Love the white christmas
and the stocking.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Sounds like you and your mum have been having a wonderful time!!! Yay.

I love the little Santa stocking. I have Santa bellpull kit by the same designer, and now I am itching to start it! Not yet, though, I must get a few other things finished first....

Although Jenna beat me to it, I was just going to say that I'm up for a scissor/stash trade if you are ever interested!! Every girl needs some pretty pointy things. :D

11:27 PM  
Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

Lovely ornies Anne! I stitched the VS one as well its very pretty. The LB ornie is cute... I often hear there are a lot of mistakes in her charts.

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home