Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Baggage disaster ...

Today I finally unpacked one of my favourite embroidery pieces that was professionally framed, that Mum brought with her on the plane ... although well packaged with a couple of layers of foamcore and bubblewrap, the airline still managed to play football with it, and we heard the sickening sounds of tinkling glass as I started unpacking the wrapping today :( Yep, my glass is in shattered ruins ... and it's not covered by the airline, and Mum's insurance excess would be $75, so probably not worth claiming it back ... it's quite fitting that the SBQ came out recently about framing with glass vs non-glass (which I still haven't gotten around to answering ... blogs have been a low priority over the last two weeks again due to visitors and shifts etc hmmm) - I have to admit, I prefer to see embroidery without glass, but I know there are pros for using glass (as well as pros for not using it). Both Mum and I sat looking at my Wessex piece and both thought the same thing at the same time ... the embroidery looks so much better without the glass! So, thanks to the airline, my Wessex piece will likely no longer have glass covering it :) I just hope by the time we clear all the glass away that it hasn't damaged any of the embroidery itself ...

As I mentioned earlier, Mum's flight was delayed by 5 hours in total, so we had a quiet night in on Saturday night - then Sunday we went out shopping and bought all sorts of goodies ... including a VERY big purchase, except I have 19 months to pay for it thanks to Harvey Norman's 19 months interest free and no downpayments at the moment - Mum agreed it was a very worthwhile investment, and thanks to my debt consolidation I'll be able to make regular monthly repayments so I don't have a big outlay at the end of the 19 months ... the big purchase was a new lounge suite!! I'm so excited about it!!! No need to guess what colour it is haha ... the salesman said "you'd like the same colour as the floor model?" - a resounding "NO!" from both Mum and I, then we cracked up ... yep, of course it's coming in blue! Actually it's a very close match to my el cheapo recliner I currently stitch in. You have no idea how good it feels to have this on order - it's made in Aussie, so we have to wait approx 4-5 weeks for it to be made up, but it has a 2.5 seater sofa bed and two chairs ... AND the best thing is that for an extra $249 you get a 5-year cover for damage ... including pet damage and spills (woohoo!!), at which time they'll recover it for free ... considering the new inhabitant that will be joining this household soon, I thought it was a good option haha. My current lounge suite was bought for $150 at a garage sale, and Fraze managed to somehow rip one arm of the chairs while it was under his care, as well as the sofa being the most uncomfortable saggy thing to sit on, with the sofa bed bars digging into you ... I can't wait for my new one to arrive!!!

As for the rest of the week, I've been working late shifts, so not much happening - managed to get my week's stitching into Bordeaux Sampler the night that Mum arrived, and I've decided to post my piccie two days early, as I'll be heading off to Hong Kong tomorrow night, and might forget to do it before I fly out (we're supposed to post progress piccies each Friday). I just have the little red 'cluster' to the left of the lettering to finish, then band one is all done for me - looking forward to seeing how Carol is coming along with hers :)


The remaining stitching time I've had this week has been very sporadic, but I've managed to get a few stitches into my last charity quilt square - it's due 15 August, so I'd better get cracking when I get back home again (good job I'm still on annual leave for the next two weeks haha).


I'm thinking of packing a Shepherd's Bush needleroll or two or a Christmas ornie to take with me to stitch at the airport etc - not sure whether we'll get much time to stitch while we're away, especially as it's only for 4 nights ... one always has to take something 'just in case' though, right? LOL. I was laughing today because the first thing I've thought about is what stitching to take - I haven't even started thinking about clothes etc for packing ... a girl has to have her priorities!!!

And on that note I'd better sign off ... we're meeting Fraze tonight for dinner then he's staying here the night - and he's due to finish work soon ... better go chuck my jeans on and start getting ready - scotch fillet for dinner, yummo!! :D

13Comments:

Blogger Concetta said...

Oh no :( I'm so sorry about the glass being smashed, Anne. :( As long as the embroidery itself isn't damaged, I'm sure you could easily take it into a framers just to replace the glass and hopefully it wouldn't be too expensive? It's such a beautiful piece.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Your framed piece is gorgeous - and I hope it and the mat are not damaged. Very fortuitous that you like it better without glass! Your vineyard sampler looks great! What fabric are you stitching this on?

2:17 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Your framed piece is so pretty-- I hope the broken glass hasn't damaged it.

Congrats on your new furniture. Hope you'll post some pics when it arrives.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Sorry to read about the smashed glass, but at least it was a total loss. It's a wonderful project!

Your other two projects are looking fantastic! Love the vinyeard one. :D

Congrats on getting a new lounge suite! It's always fun getting new furniture, especially when it's long over due. :D

Have a great trip to Hong Kong!

6:42 AM  
Blogger cathymk said...

Just had to say your wessex piece is beautiful, I hope it is not damaged. Love your progress on the vineyard piece - it is looking just wonderful.

8:37 AM  
Blogger lena-lou said...

Your sampler is beautiful and I hope it is fine once the glass is removed. Its lovely getting new furniture no wonder you are so excited about your new suite :-) I am away this week and the 1st things I packed and sorted were my stitching...yes we have our priorities right...lol

9:00 AM  
Blogger Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

Sorry to hear about your sampler.

All of your other pieces look spectacular!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Cathy B said...

Generally I don't use glass when framing my needlework pieces - I like to see the stitching too. Hope your piece is okay after all the glass is removed - it looks like a beautiful piece!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Mel in Dubai said...

I hope your lovely Wessex piece is okay. We had something similar happen with a watercolour painting when we moved back to Oz from Saudi several years back.

Your vineyard sampler is looking great btw :)

Enjoy Hong Kong! We were only there just over a week ago :)

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, that's scary! I'm glad that there was no damage!!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Bummer! I guess the stuff in those overheads shifts too much. I actually forgot a few packages on a plane once. Be glad the glass only broke and the piece wasn't forgotten. It's really lovely.

10:17 AM  
Blogger vee said...

Wow! I am really enjoying your blog which I found by a random "cross stitch" search. You are working on some very interesting pieces and I look forward to following your progress.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home