Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Curry Recipes

This one's for 'anonymous' ... I can't be bothered hunting through my archives to find the last curry recipe, so I'm posting it anew here for you. Rogan Josh is a new recipe I found last year and LOVE it, the flavours are divine - it became my new favourite curry. Dragon's Curry is my Mum's recipe that we've been cooking for years, and still adore it ... Enjoy! :D Now I'm off to pick up a needle for the first time in almost a week! :D

ROGAN JOSH

1kg diced lamb
1 cup (250ml) yogurt
1 tablespoon malt vinegar
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons ghee
4 cardamom pods, bruised
3 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
2 medium (300g) onions, finely chopped
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground fennel
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
3/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves

1) Combine lamb, yogurt, vinegar, half the garlic and half the ginger in large bowl; mix well. Cover, refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. (I do mine first thing in the morning, and leave it all day.)
2) Heat ghee in large pan, add whole spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant.
3) Add onions and remaining garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until onions are browned slightly.
4) Add ground spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add lamb mixture, stir to coat in spice mixture.
5) Add stock; simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Remove cover; simmer about 30 minutes or until lamb is tender. Just before serving, stir in garam masala and fresh herbs; heat through.
Serves 6 to 8

DRAGON'S CURRY

1.5kg chicken (we use chicken breast diced)
3 tablepoons oil or ghee
12 curry leaves
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
3-4 teaspoons chilli powder
3 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 large ripe tomato, peeled and chopped
1 small stick cinnamon
2 cups coconut cream

Cut chicken into small pieces. Heat oil, fry curry leaves, onions, garlic and ginger until soft. Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander, cumin and fry for 2 minutes. Add salt and tomato. Stir well, cover and cook until tomato is pulpy. Add chicken and cinnamon stick and stir well until chicken is coated with the spice mixture. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Stir in the coconut cream and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes longer.

5Comments:

Blogger Crazy X-Stitcher Etc said...

Yummy....more curry recipes. I'm gonna try them out. Since you love Indian food...here's a website with authentic Indian recipe.

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/

My favourite....all time dessert is boondi ladhu.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting recipes! My tummy couldn't handle them but they sound wonderful!

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipes, now safely stored in my cook book. Thanks heaps.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Ooooh... Rogan Josh is one of my favorite dishes. Thanks for sharing!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Vash said...

I had to read the recipe before I realised that Dragon's Curry referred to the chilli in it, not the kind of meat! lol

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home