Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

It never rains, it pours ... & I'm flooding!

Edited to add this positive news:

Tonight I decided to start a new project, being Sapphire Star canvaswork by Laura J Perin ... after getting everything out, and making a working copy of the chart, I realised I'd goofed ... I thought I had everything aside from the one thread that's still on back order from months ago, only to find I don't have any 18" stretcher bars ... doh! Oh well, it's not as if I don't have any other projects to choose from ...

Instead I frogged the bottom band on my A Stitcher's Needleroll by Lorri Birmingham ... actually I ended up frogging part of it twice! Firstly to fix the error in the chart by removing the extra space between the body of the design and the bottom band (it was bugging me, and I couldn't just leave it in) ... then because I'd thrown all the kit threads out, thinking it was finished at the start of September, I re-kitted using the colour key ... the second bit of frogging was due to misprint in the colour key (geez, I love Lorri Birmingham designs, but I seriously HATE all the chart errors!!!) - I ended up dragging my 500 series of threads out and colour matching with the rest of the finished stitching. I also subbed the bright pink ribbon, thinking a nice purple one would blend nicely, and it's finally finished into an actual needleroll - which means I can finally add it to my 50 Projects tally ... the stitching was done just prior to signing up, but it was within the official starting date of the rules - my compromise was that I wouldn't add it to my tally until it was finish-finished ... and now I can woohoo :D
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A Stitcher's Needleroll by Lorri Birmingham
stitched from the kit contents
Photo compliments of Photobucket ... bah humbug Blogger!

*********************************
Well, the good times just keep on rollin' in my neck of the woods! Today I was worried I hadn't heard from Mum and she said she'd phone today ... so I thought I'd give her a quick call, only to find the home phone not working. The phone line is fine, as my PC is working with the internet with no problems ... but I can't get a true dial tone and use my home phone. A quick test using my mobile phone and it's ringing on my mobile, but not ringing on the home phone ... which means it's likely my home phone needs to be replaced! I just cancelled my 'messaging' service on my home phone to save money, so the next phone will have it's own answerphone ... I guess my new phone will be my next 'essential' purchase. I could actually do without a home phone if it wasn't for keeping up to date with Mum, and that's critically important for me.

Anyway all I can say is "bring it on!!!!" ... perhaps you can think of something else to add to the ever-increasing list of crappy events before the holiday season is over ... well I'm not caving in!!! OK, that's my rant for the night ... now I'm off to sulk in my stitching corner to focus on all the positive things in my life right now ... I refuse to let this latest event get me down! Mind you, with the way my financial situation is going, my 50 Projects Challenge may end up as a 100 Projects Challenge haha ... although I'm likely to run out of DMC by then LOL. Right, I'm off to start something new to cheer myself up!

And on another negative note, I can't believe it, but some thieving scumbag has stolen quilts from Amitie Textiles in Bentleigh ... I'm absolutely gobsmacked that someone could do this. Here's the link to the announcement on their blog ... I thought I'd mention it in case any of my Melbourne readers are interested. I'm still shaking my head in disgust!

Now I also have a request from you - do any of you have any wonderful tried-and-tested bread recipes for a breadmaking machine, that don't use a million different ingredients (or even those that do)? I have used a couple of recipes from the machine's instruction manual that are good, but I also have a cookbook especially for bread machines, and the three loaves I've made so far have been dismal, and the book's going out in the bin! I'd love to find some good recipes out there for trialling :D And another apology to Mum - if you don't hurry up and get over here for a holiday, there'll be no beer left ... I have another loaf of Wholemeal beer and mustard bread baking ... my fave recipe so far - guess who's having cheese and pickle sandwiches for lunches next week again? haha.

16Comments:

Blogger Kitty Couture said...

That needleroll is gorgeous! What a challenge though.
I'm sorry to hear your phone's not working... Can't you get a real cheapo one? Ours was actually a gift from a mail order company. It's very basic, but works till we decide to invest in a new one. I hope you can find a solution that allows you to EAT properly! (((hugs)))

12:02 AM  
Blogger Arthemise said...

Your needleroll is lovely! You do so many projects that I just love--and want to stitch myself!

It does seem like when it rains, it pours. We've had more-than-normal bad times here, nothing we can't handle, but it does get you down. Good luck with finding a new phone.

Stealing quilts...yes, this would be why I hate people. Fortunately, there are still a few that I like. :-)

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs! Your needleroll looks wonderful! Things will get better soon. They could always be worse! More hugs!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Your needleroll is gorgeous! I hope brighter times will show up for you soon - it's been such a long stretch of lousy news for you {{{Hugs}}}

5:45 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Hi Anne,its been a few days since I stopped by and oh boy, your needles have been flying, all your finishes are wonderful :) Hope all this stitching helps to forget some of your woes at the moment. sending you lots of hugs from across the ditch :)

6:58 AM  
Blogger Nicki said...

Congratulations on the needleroll finish - it looks great and the colours match perfectly :)

So sorry about the phone. These things always seem to happen at the worst time.

And I have a lovely breadmaker recipe for cheese and onion bread - remind me to type it up and send it along :)

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fav. home made bread.

Using the breadmaker I make up the dough - Lauke Rye Bread Mix.

While the dough was on the rise chop up 6 rashers of bacon and fry them - then set aside on paper towel to drain.

Chop 1/2 red onion and grated 1 cup cheese.

Preheated oven to 180C

Once the dough is ready roll it out to about an inch thick. Then scatter the bacon, onion, cheese and some dried italian herb mix over the top.

Roll the whole lot up and then kneeded it a bit to get the bacon/onion/cheese/herb mix through the dough.

Put the whole lot in a large bread tin which had been greased with olive oil, brushed olive oil on top of the dough to stop it drying out.

Leave to rise for 1 hour in a warm kitchen.

Baked in oven for 60 min.

Once finished in oven leave to cool in tin for 10minutes.

Then turn out onto wire cooling rack and leave sit for 15 minutes before cutting up.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne, I swear you have the same luck as I do---NONE! I love all your finished projects, but I haven't yet risen to the 50 Project Challenge. Perhaps when I get all my annoyances out of the way---like Blogger. Boo, hiss! I'm sorry to hear you're also having probs with Blogger. I think I raised enough of a stink they've started working on my bugs; otherwise they'd have to get out the duct tape. I don't suffer in silence well.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your attitude and I think it's a really healthy one to have! I can just see you sitting there, yelling "bring it on!" It put a big smile on my face to hear the fight in your voice. Keep it up, girl! You can beat this!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to use www.allrecipes.com or www.recipezaar.com for recipes. Bet they have a bunch for you!

(((hugs)))

: )

2:10 PM  
Blogger CJ in OK ;-) said...

Congrats on the final finishing of your needleroll. As for the flooding just roll up your pant legs and pray for some sunny days. While waiting Happy Stitching, CJ

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a breadmaking machine too. To i'll try to translate my favorite recipes for you. Is not France the country of breads? See you soon angain.
Wonderful needleroll anyway!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anne, I'm sorry to hear that things are so bad at the moment, I just got back to Nicosia after a few days offline and saw your posts, truly an avalanche of horror for you and I pray it ends soon. I think the house-sitting idea sounds most economical, if you have somewhere to stay for any "homeless" days in between. If you could do that for a while, it would give you a chance to get ahead a bit...
Have to say I also hate Lorri Birmingham's charts, there are so many errors - the designs are great, but it's so frustrating sometimes to do them.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anne, I'm sorry to hear that things are so bad at the moment, I just got back to Nicosia after a few days offline and saw your posts, truly an avalanche of horror for you and I pray it ends soon. I think the house-sitting idea sounds most economical, if you have somewhere to stay for any "homeless" days in between. If you could do that for a while, it would give you a chance to get ahead a bit...
Have to say I also hate Lorri Birmingham's charts, there are so many errors - the designs are great, but it's so frustrating sometimes to do them.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry for double comment, beta blogger is not being kind to me... I wouldn't switch until you hate to

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry for double comment, beta blogger is not being kind to me... I wouldn't switch until you have to

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home