Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Christmas in Elwood

I've had a very lazy day today ... but tonight I put a bit of effort into getting my Christmas decorating almost finished - I just have to stuff a Christmas tree Mum made for me, which will sit in the middle of my dining table, plus finish of a couple of Christmas ornies I stitched during the year for myself ... the following photos are mainly for Isabelle who wanted to see my decorations once they were up :)

First of all my little flat's lounge in all it's glory ... and the Christmas tree with it's animal guardians - I couldn't get a good photo tonight with the lights on (well, it's actually just after 1am), so I'll try to get a better photo tomorrow.



As you can see there are little bits of Christmas all over my small space - and here are some of the pieces in detail (this isn't all of them, but I'm starting to get tired, and think I should hit the hay soon - I may put some more piccies up during the week).




And now "something I prepared earlier" ...

Since stitching Coffee Menu I haven't picked up a needle in this whole time - I've been having way too much fun getting the RAK Registry together. I spent 2 hours chatting to Mum today on the phone, and was telling her about it, and she rightly said it sounds "right up my alley" ... any excuse to organise something and make lists haha.

Actually, Mum also told me I should share this little story with you as well ... as you know I've been struggling a lot financially over the last 1-2 months, and haven't been buying any groceries except for milk and the occasional few onions etc, but living out of my pantry and freezer. Well, the main contents of my freezer have been chicken breasts ... about 3-4kg of chicken breasts, to be exact! Mum said to me a few weeks ago, "you must be sick to death of chicken by now!" ... "you're not kidding", is my reply. Well, here my sick sense of humour kicks in ...

My bathroom is a combined laundry/bathroom (typical apartment), and I have my cat basket and supplies sitting in the laundry tub while waiting to get a real life kitty to take up residence ... anyway, as I'm climbing out of the shower a week or so ago, I look over at the pile of kitty stuff, and think to myself, smirking, "oh well, if I ever get desperate enough for food, there's always that big bag of Hills Science kitty biscuits" (not that I would ever actually do that!!) ... and I grinned a bit ... then I read the label, and totally cracked myself up and howled with laughter ... the flavour just HAD to be "Chicken and Rice"!!!!! You probably had to be there, but Mum and I shared yet another chuckle about it today - it's true that things have to be really really bad for me to lose my sense of humour! I get that from my Mum, we can usually find something funny in most things ;) And yes, my sense of humour is definitely starting to return, and things are brightening up :)

I must say though, a week on Tuesday I get paid, and I'm going to go mental shopping!! After finally paying Mr Tax-Man, I'm going to go crazy buying fruit and vegetables!!! That's the one thing I've really REALLY missed - I've pretty much been living on protein and carbs for the last 1-2 months, with the occasional frozen vege and tinned tomatoes thrown in, and I am seriously craving salads! I could quite easily sit down right now with a whole head of lettuce and scoff the lot in one sitting!! I'll still be frugal for quite some time, if not right throughout 2007, but I will definitely be having one huge salad for dinner a week on Tuesday! :D

Anyway, I guess I'd better hit the hay and get some shut-eye ... I've tried to keep myself awake really late tonight, to try and get myself into the right frame of mind for tomorrow, as I'm back on overnight shifts again - oh yippee :/ I start work at 9pm and finish at 5am for 4 nights ... that should keep me out of mischief this week, and I might actually get caught up on those 600+ blog posts I'm still trying to read hmmm ;) In the meantime I hope life is treating everyone well :D

15Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

What great decorations! All we have done so far is to put our plug in candles in the windows, and Mike hung the stockings... Yay, I am so happy you will be eating better soon!

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your flat looks very festive! Hey, you're famous - great little piece about you in this months Gift of Stitching :)

I have to share a story about Pete. The airline we are traveling on to NZ changed our itinerary a little so Pete was on the phone to a customer service rep. He was really impressed when he found out that the person he was talking to was in NZ and it was the middle of the night for them. I told him that was what you do and he said to say that you guys do a great job :)

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your tree is gorgeous!!! I think I'll decorate mine in the next couple of days.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Your flat looks great, Anne!! I love the new blue lounge set.

Our kitties eat chicken & rice too.

: )

7:56 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Your decorations look fabulous Anne, enjoy them :) Ours will have to wait until next weekend I think, I've got a bit too much on this week to be able to enjoy the time it takes to put them up :)

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pretty scene.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your flat looks lovely all decorated for the season. :)

I love how your sense of humor keeps you anchored in rough seas! I try to be that way myself, especially thru my twin pregnancy. There was always something to laugh about or twist to make it funny. It was either laugh or cry, and laughing is sooo much more fun. :D

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your flat looks wonderful all Christmasy and decorated.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Your flat looks gorgeous, Anne! I'm really glad to hear your sense of humour hasn't faded through out the last couple of months. That is not an easy feat when going through the financial stress that you've had to deal with over the past little while. I'd go mental eating just chicken and carbs for that long! Can't wait to hear that you've finally gone wild in the grocery store. Have a great day, Anne! :)

11:24 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Very Christmas-y! I love your little Santas! Which spot do you use for your stitching chair?

I'm off to visit your RAK Registry~ thanks for all your hard work on this!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Your flat looks very Festive Anne! Great decorating makes the season come alive!
:D
Thanks for all your hard work on the RAK registry...it looks GREAT!

2:23 AM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Oh Anne, what a wonderful job you've done with your Christmas decoration! Love the Santas with their feet dangling :)
Thank you so much for taking the time to post those pics... Love them :) Really puts me into the mood to decorate my own flat! :)

I love how it is so very cheerful, though definitely not tacky! Love everything about it :)

And about the rest of the furniture - love all that blue ;) and you would definitely feel at home in my home - we have the same line of Ikea furniture! We have a dark blue sofa too (although it's very bottom-of-the-line and we are regretting that choice now) and also have a blue organza curtain! Spooky how we can live so far away and have flats that look so alike! ;)

3:25 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Anne, your Christms decor looks wonderful! Love it.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Catherine (4) and I were just looking at the update in your blog and we saw your beautiful decorations!!! Catherine thinks they are wonderful......and so do I. Your home is looking very festive and ready for the holidays. Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Anne! Your decorations make your flat look very cozy. Perfect for the holidays! I'm glad that your spirits have lifted and that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home