Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Updated to add an apology to many bloggers - I'm trying to catch up with blogs, but for some reason the last two nights I've been unable to leave comments on beta blogs ... it just keeps rejecting my blogger ID. Anyway, I've opted to leave it for a day or two then I'll try to catch up again - I don't want to just 'read and run' ... hopefully I'll be able to get back to commenting again soon :) I was doing so well, too - I'd managed to catch up at the weekend after getting through over 650 unread feeds! :D

For Carina and Cindy, and anyone else who's wondering what Babycham actually is ... here's the Wikipedia info ... and the official website :D I was reading the History section last night, and found it very interesting, and I love the 'product lines' ... when you run your mouse over the sparkling bottle, the cork pops out haha - I didn't realise quite how old Babycham is, but then again I have been drinking it since I was very young hmmmm ;)

Well, it's been an interesting day today - not anything to do with my 'personal' situation, but rather one for Melbourne city on the whole. As the Yahoo news team puts it ... "Melbourne was shrouded in a thick blanket of smoke throughout today with levels in the city reaching 10 times the acceptable limit. Some city workers found the air difficult to breath in with others more concerned about the cause of the ominous sky." That kinda sums it all up, really!

It really is quite eerie, and I've been tasting smoke all day - I had to shut off the air vents in my car on the way to work, and then by the afternoon it was so bad it was circulating through the air conditioning at work and we've all been complaining of headaches and sore throats. We did do a very pitiful rendition of 'Smoke gets in your eyes' at one stage ;) I bet the respiratory departments are run off their feet today, as it really is dreadful - even in bad weather I usually have a lovely view of the skyline on the drive home, but tonight it's just blanketed in a thickish fog of smoke. I feel very sorry for those who are closer to the 'action' and have lost their homes during this disaster.

So today, I'm thankful that I'm not in the path of that fiery destruction - I really hope they get it under control soon so no more property (or worse) is lost. But I'm also truly thankful that today was the first day of an entire month (13 Dec-14 Jan) where we're allowed to wear casual clothes to work ... jeans and trainers for an entire month - I'm in heaven! ;)

Today was also dress-up today at work ... apart from a few Santa hats, as usual I was the only one to be fully decked-out in my Christmas tree outfit, and we have some great ideas for my outfit for next year - including getting a load of cheap 'flashing' brooches/earrings to attach like lights hahaha ... too funny! Two of the Supervisors tonight came and gave me a Luv Ya Work Award before I went home "for bringing some festive cheer and joy into the office" ... I have to admit it is a great morale booster, and brings a smile to everyone when they see it ... and that's what it's all about! :D I didn't take a new photo this year, as I had my hands full with my plate of food etc walking from my car, so couldn't juggle my camera as well, so last year's photo will have to suffice ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

20Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny! It's the first time I see someone dressed like that LOL

11:25 PM  
Blogger Chiara said...

Hi Anne,
I have the same problem with beta blogger....It's frustrating!!!
I'm happy to see your Christmass dress for another year :o)
cheers

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - that's terrific, Anne! I love your Xmas dress.

I've had the same problem with beta about leaving comments. Except when I've gone back to the same blog later on, I've found my comment has been left several times over. Very weird....

12:36 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Love the tree dress. That's totally something I would do!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Arthemise said...

Great costume! Did they make you stand in a bowl of water? ;-)

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ditto Wendy on the comments, which you'll have noticed yesterday (even though after the page closed down on me yesterday I didn't bother again).

You'll have to email me your address, so I can send you some flashing lights for your costume. It looks great.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Elanor said...

Great outfit ! I wonder what the reaction would be if I went teaching dressed as you, I have to try it sometimes!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Ah, the infamous dress!! LOL

I can't leave comments on beta blogs either - and I DON"T want to change to beta blogger. I have heard the headaches and don't want to go back to a plain template... so for now, I can't leave comments either :-(

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a brave woman! Dame Edna should watch out. We have another brave woman working here in our local Michaels craft store. For EACH holiday and I do mean EACH holiday she is covering with decor. I think each year she adds more bits and pieces.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a great dress! Did you add the decorations to a pre-made dress? Or did you make that also?

4:32 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

The huge fires made the papers here and I immediately wondered how far you were from them. Geography is not my strong suit. (I really am American. LOL!)

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never tire of seeing that dress. You have such wonderful Christmas spirit, Anne! Some way of adding flashing lights to the dress would be spectacular fun. I know you can figure something out. You could always buy some battery-powered strings of Christmas lights and attach them to the dress. ;)

I'm sorry to hear that the fires are taking such a toll. It sounds very eerie indeed. Hopefully, you won't get another lungful of smoke tomorrow!

*hug*

5:52 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Oh SO CUTE Anne you definitely deserve an award!!!Hope they get those fires under control soon I know they can be so devastating.

6:20 AM  
Blogger vee said...

What an awesome outfit!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Nicki said...

I've been meaning to ask about the smoke - there were pictures of the city on the news the other day and it looked horrid :(

The dress is amazing as always! Is it heavy? :)

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne, for me, the angel makes the whole outfit. It's just gorgeous and I am so glad your workplace appreciates you.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

That smoke sounds horrible! I hope they get the fires under control soon.

Your dress is spectacular!! I love it. :)

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All offices should have a morale booster like you, Anne! Makes going to work so much nicer for everybody. :D

We'll all have to be doing a rain dance for your area to get those fires out pronto!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I love that outfit. Anyone who would wear that would be one of the most fun people to be around. It shows you have a real sense of humor (not much sense of fashion perhaps, but who needs that anyway). It's adorable and you are a real trooper to wear it, considering it's summer in your part of the world. I can't wait to see what it looks like next year.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Meari said...

Haha. Love the dress. How does that angel stay up there???

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home