Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Some Kiwi nostalgia

I rarely put the TV on these days - but over the course of the last week and a half, I've turned it on 3 times for 'company' while I'm doing housework ... the last 2 times I've been pleasantly surprised, but the housework got ditched temporarily. The series of Billy Connolly's Tour of New Zealand has returned - episode 3 was on at the end of last week, and episode 4 was on last night after Comic Relief ... as they say in the UK, "it warmed the cockles of my heart!" Even though I was born in the UK, we emigrated to NZ when I was 6 years old - we survived 2 years there, because Dad hated NZ, then returned to the UK ... only to find Dad hated the UK even more, and back we trotted to NZ again 2 years later, when I was 10 - I think the trauma at that age must have been pretty great for a shy quiet kid, and I have no real memory of my life in the UK, or pretty much any of my life prior to being 10! So, I've grown up loving the Kiwi country, and people, and culture ... as far as I'm concerned, even though not by birthright, I AM a Kiwi (I became naturalised as soon as I was old enough to do it in my own right) ...

Anyway, it was so nice to see on TV a lot of the places I've visited over the years, and I love Billy Connolly anyway ... and I enjoyed the rendition of Pokarekare Ana at the end of the show - I'm not sure my neighbours loved it as much, 'cos I was singing at the top of my lungs ... I'm amazed I still remember the words! It is the most beautiful song in the world, in my eyes - and always reminds me of home ... so, come on Kiwis, let's have a karaoke session ... ready? 1 - 2 - 3 ...

Pokarekare ana
Nga wai o Rotorua
Whiti atu koe hine
marino ana e
E hine e
Hoki maira
Kamate au-i
te aroha e

OK, that'll do for now - time to put my shoes on and get off to work ... still on relatively civilised hours all week - a mix of 11am-7pm (4 days) then 10am-6pm (3 days) and then ... shock, horror ... a weekend off! I have friends I haven't seen for at least 6 months coming to stay, hopefully, for the weekend, so can't guarantee much stitching will be getting done this week! Have a great one everybody :)

2Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad to hear that you get a weekend off soon. Enjoy your time with friends! :)

2:42 PM  
Blogger Nicole & Phil said...

oh, the only Kiwi song i know is the Haka (I do not know if I have spelt that right??)
I have been away for 1 1/2 weeks (can you tell from all my postings), and will update my blog in the next week all about our holiday and stitching!

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home