Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Secret can be shared!

Yay, I received an email from the secret recipient of my gift piece to say it has finally arrived safely, so I can now reveal all! This little piece was meant as a cheer-up gift for our beloved BeckySC months ago - unfortunately it didn't quite work out that way, as I was trying to do it while I was really sick, and had a number of mishaps with it ... when I 'melted' the blending filament on the wings, it was the final straw, and I couldn't face it again for ages due to feeling so disappointed about it - but it finally got resurrected and fixed up, and got sent on its merry way to its intended recipient ... I'm so so happy that it finally managed to reach Becky - better late than never ;) Anyway, here is the piccie from the scanner - try as hard as I might, I couldn't get a clear photo on the camera ... perhaps Becky will manage a better one :) It's the first time I've ever sent a stitched gift to another stitcher, so I was a bit nervous - but pleased with the overall result :)



Lana, good luck with stitching Dolphins Domain - I have to admit, it's lovely when it's stitched, but it can be pretty hard going with all those greys ... I'm finding the best way to stitch it is to mix it in as a rotation with other smaller/brighter/more fun pieces. Looking forward to seeing it totally finished, though - it will be hard to part with it once it's done, I think, but hopefully Vicki and John will love it seeing as they chose it as their wedding present years ago :)

Sharon, if you want it, you're more than welcome to my copy of Dolphins Domain when I've finished with it ... hope you're not in a huge hurry LOL. Seriously, though, I'm unlikely to ever stitch these critters again in this lifetime, even if I do think they're lovely stitched.

For Cathy and Christine - "champers and panettone" is something new for us at Christmas this year ... "champers" is just sparkling wine/champagne, and "panettone" is a traditional Italian Christmas cake - considering we have not a single ounce of Italian heritage in us, that was something new to try this year - it's like the consistency of bread, with the fruit and peel in it, and is just lovely. We have a large Italian population in Melbourne, and I work with quite a few of them, and one of the guys at work said I had to try Panettone with Champagne, as that's the best way to eat it ... who was I to go against orders from an expert? LOL. I have to admit to disliking traditional fruit cake intensely, so I love the panettone!

Thanks everyone for your lovely and kind comments about my first ornaments. I have to admit, Bine, I did follow some instructions - I bought the Judy Odell/Just A Thought book, but didn't find it as helpful without pictures (I'm a very visual person), so I backed her notes up with a trip to a website by CameoRoze as she has a step-by-step tutorial. It was pretty simple once I started the process. And I had so many wonderful examples that others had stitched for inspiration. At least next year I won't be quite as phased by it all, and I'm going to try to stitch at least one ornament a month, so I'm ready for Christmas early in 2006 ... well, that's the plan anyway haha.

Mum's hounding me to do the flat-fold finish of the Stars are Brightly Shining ... we made some carrot noses out of Fimo before Christmas and she's dying to see it made up! I decided I was too impatient to wait for ordering more buttons, and thought we'd give it a try in Fimo - looks pretty good, even if I say so myself ... now I'm starting to think about trying other shapes with it too hmmm. Maybe on my next days off we'll have another finishing session - but I need to buy some different batting first :)

Kali, I can't wait to see your outfit when you're all dressed up as Cindy Lou Who ... that sounds like a real hoot and a half!!

Rightio, off to do a bit of stitching before I have to go to work - I didn't get much sleep last night, so I'm up early ... the bonus is that I have more play time before work yippee :)

22Comments:

Blogger BeckySC said...

Anne-I love it :) You made my day my friend :) AND, no need to be nervous! It is perfectly stitched and finished :)

Thank you from my heart :) :) :)

hugs :)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Nicki said...

Anne, it's GORGEOUS!! I was going to stitch it myself for Becky later this year but you've beaten me to it and done it so beautifully! Both the front and back look lovely and the fabric's lovely too (what is it?). Congratulations! I'll have to think of something else :)

11:06 AM  
Blogger Von said...

Hi Anne! Such a perfect gifty for Becky:) And that fabric couldn't have been more perfect! Love it!
Glad to read all about your Christmas and how you spent your $$ - sounds like you got just the right mix of splurge and practicality!!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh Anne!!!! That is just gorgeous! And, I know you made Becky's day! You are such a sweetie!!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Kiwi Jo said...

Awesome finish Anne! I admire your perserverance to finish it after all the set-backs and it looks PERFECT from here!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Schokti said...

What a wonderful little pillow, Anne! There certainly doesn't look like there were any issues at all.
Thanks for the clarifcation on the champagne and fruitcake - I thought it was some crazy Kiwi thing! ;D

2:00 PM  
Blogger Dawn T. said...

Anne that is stunning! You did a wonderful job on it for Becky. I am sure she will love it.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Cathy B said...

Anne, your pillow for Becky was fabulous! Very thoughtful and your finishing looks great!

Thanks for the explanation regarding the champers and panettone - I would have never guessed that they were wine and cake! I actually thought it sounded like some kind of seafood! LOL

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Anne, that pillow is absolutely stunning. You did such a nice job on it for Becky; it was well worth all of the effort that you had to put into it! :D

4:16 PM  
Blogger Running Kiwi said...

That is just gorgeous Anne, you did a beautiful job, despite the mishaps!

I don't think I've commented for a while ... love your ornaments, and your Christmas sounds like a lot of fun ... and you're right, the thought is definitely worth more than the size or price of the gift!

Hope work stays quiet for you :)

9:07 PM  
Blogger cathymk said...

Anne, your pillow for Becky is just gorgeous!
Congratulations on creating a perfect gift for Becky.

9:33 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Anne, this was such a perfect gift for Becky - and your perseverence was a real gift, too! It turned out perfectly!

The panettone sounds very yummy - no Italians here to speak of, though. The Indonesian population has introduced a very yummy multilayered spice cake, though, that I really like.

Champagne, for the record, goes with EVERYTHING! ;-)

11:26 PM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Oh Anne, the pillow you stitched for Becky is EXQUISITE, back and front!! Congratulations and kudos on making Becky so happy :o)

1:42 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

Anne, you had nothing to be nervous about--this turned out quite lovely!!! Beautiful work!

4:24 AM  
Blogger Nancy in IL said...

Anne, this is the most beautiful pillow I've ever seen! It needs to be seen in a magazine as an example of what can be done with the design, especially the lovely personalization on the back, which is lovelier than any front I've ever seen! Wonderful job... treasured gift for Becky!

4:26 AM  
Blogger lobea2004 said...

Anne, I'm happy reading you liked the panettone. You've been recommended correctly. We always eat the panettone with the champagne. To tell the truth we drink "spumante", that is the italian champagne. Kisses from Italy

4:30 AM  
Blogger Kali said...

When I get it all together I'll be sure to post pictures Anne. I have a year now, maybe if I get my act together I'll be ready by next Halloween and I can dress up then too :D

3:15 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Anne,
Becky's pillow is just gorgeous and so fitting for her! I know she loves it!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Tobie said...

Anne, your pillow is beautiful and your personalization for the back is so creative! I can imagine Becky was thrilled to open that package! I'll also file away the tidbit about the metallic thread melting, as I didn't realize it would do that. It will probably save many of us from doing the same thing in the future.
I'm also wanting to stitch an ornament a month in 2006. :)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Rowyn said...

Happy New Year Anne. The pillow is just bee-autiful!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

Anne what a beautiful job with the stitching and finishing!

I bet Becky loved it!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Anne this is beautiful and the perfect thing for Becky! I love the fabric. Super yummy!

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home