Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Friday, February 24, 2006

I didn't get the job :(

... BUT I feel really OK and calm about it all. Got some very very positive feedback from the two Supervisors that did the interviews. They actually said "the job is yours" - it's just that the other two candidates that got the jobs hit more of the interview criteria than I did, and unfortunately that's the way the company does their interviewing ... I know I'm really bad at interviews - my nerves get in the way, and it's like somebody sucks my brains out in a big vacuum as I walk through the door. They both said with my experience I have plenty of situations I deal with every week that proves I can do the job backwards ... but it's my interview technique that is holding me back. I can give scenarios, but just hit the exact nail on the head. One of them said she wanted to kick me under the table, 'cos I was so close to nailing it, then stopped, and missed the 'finishing off' part. Oh well, c'est la vie - getting such awesome feedback from both of them made it a much easier pill to swallow. I said to them I have a timeframe at the back of my mind until I call it quits for applying and would have to start looking elsewhere for the challenge, as I have too much to offer than just doing the 'normal' phones all day - they agreed, and one even went so far to say it would be tragic if the company lost my experience and knowledge, that it would be a tremendous loss.

Anyway, the outcome is that after the Supervisor has her operation and is back at work, we'll get our 'official' feedback, and we go through the various questions step by step, and they'll give me some additional coaching so I can learn what the company are specifically looking for in their scenarios ... as they put it, you've got the experience to get you through, we're going to help to give you that extra nudge over the line :)

In the meantime, though, they told me under no uncertain terms if I got offered a day shift position, that I should jump at it with both hands ... I'd already been considering it, anyway, as a lot of times a shift position can come up within months, and you're already a permanent senior, so you can move into the slot straightaway, then they re-advertise for the day position again. And there is soon to be some movement on the floor - last week one of the day shift seniors got a promotion to Quality Evaluator (a job I don't want, even though it's more money, so I didn't apply for it), which means if they get approval within the next weeks to fill her spot, they can use someone from this interview group ... and the way they were talking, made me wonder if it was me in line next ... but then again they could have said that to everyone ...

So, my challenge next week is to speak to my bank and credit union, to see if there is any option available for debt consolidation, to bring my outgoings down to something a little less each month than what it is now ... which means I could do the day position for a short time without crippling myself - as they said today, if I took a day position you get asked to do relieving Quality Evaluator, which is Mon-Fri so no weekend penalties, but for 1 in 3 weeks you get shift penalties for 3-11pm shifts, and you can also do Supervisor relieving, which could be shift work. I couldn't believe how they were so proactive in giving me all this info and being so definite about me not passing up the opportunity if it comes up. Oh boy, I hope I'm not reading anything into it ... :) I've already said I'd accept the job as a day position - and in the meantime now I've got to do my homework and see if I can cut some corners in spending etc ... so I am now so on the wagon it's not funny ... just in case!!

On a positive note today, I finally received my Silkweaver FOTM I've been longing for - and they sent an extra small "happy" (a small cut of 28ct Jobelan Solo) to make up for the late posting. So, KarenV, your mail will finally go out on Monday - so much for a birthday gift hmmm ... I'm spreading your birthday wishes into March now LOL. I decided to hold off sending your parcel when I thought the fabric had arrived the other day, then I had confirmation from Silkweaver that it had left them 8 Feb, so I figured it couldn't be too far away ... and it's finally here! It's a very pretty blue, too :)

Oh heck, if I have to cut costs, I suppose my FOTM club will have to disappear too :( Oh b*gger, that was my only vice left ...

18Comments:

Blogger Kiwi Jo said...

Sorry you didn't get the job Anne, but the feedback you got sounds VERy promising. Hang in there!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

(((((((Anne))))))) I'm sorry you didn't get the job... But like Jo said, hang in there, my friend! Judging from your supervisors' feedback, your turn will come :)

1:30 AM  
Blogger Myrna said...

Sorry about the position, but, maybe one even better is waiting for you. :-)

Thanks for reading my blog.

Hugs...

2:27 AM  
Blogger Elanor said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the job and I really hope you'll find you dream job...
And thanks for all the nice comments on Butterscotch!

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,
I have been out of the loop for way too long! Sorry to hear you didn't get the job you were trying for. I totally understand about the debt thing, and I am also trying to scratch my way out of the hole I have dug myself into--LOL. So you are in good company. Things have to go your way soon!!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Nicki said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the job too Anne, but it sounds promising from all the feedback and, you never know, it may work out even better in the long run.

Hope the finances work out OK. I know what it's like to have to cut right back on everything. {{hugs}}

7:38 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job. :( But the feedback and helpful hints they gave you sound fantastic. I've got my fingers crossed that it all goes your way. :D

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT feedback from the interviewers! See, I told you that they would really like you. Besides, remember that you really wanted the day position anyway, right? ;)

I'm glad you'll be going to bank to see if you can reduce your expenses. And dropped the FOTM might not be the worst thing in the world. Just an adjustment until you get back to being paid like you're used to.

Just remember - everything happens for a reason and works out the way that it is supposed to. :) *hug*

8:07 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job...but I'm sure you'll wind up with something even better soon :)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out with the job. Hopefully something wonderful will come your way soon:)

10:55 AM  
Blogger BeckySC said...

Everyone has said it all so I am just going to send you some SC love and (((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

11:52 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I'm so sorry - I think there is something bigger and better (and which you would want more) still ahead for you :-)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Shelleen said...

sorry that you didn't get the job but I am sure the job for you is still out there :-)

12:21 PM  
Blogger Bastet said...

Sorry you didn't get the job, but hte positive feedback is always a plus especially if it seems as though they may be pushing you in a certian direction. Enjoy the weekend!
Hugs

2:55 PM  
Blogger Litla Skvís said...

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. Hopefully that means that there is something even better out there, just waiting for you to come along :o)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Susimac said...

Really sorry you didn't get the job, but the positive feedback you received is great, there is obviously something better out there calling your name. I wish you luck with your debt consolidation, its hard to cut back sometimes I know but it will all work out wonderfully in the end you'll see.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Dawn T. said...

I'm sorry about the job. :( Hopefully something will come your way soon.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Sylvie said...

Sorry about the job. Hopefully you will find something great soon :)
(((hugs)))

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home