Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Gob-smacked again - I LOVE the 40's :)

Today was another good day in 'my world' ... I'll get to the part that had me gob-smacked earlier today right until the end ... but I won't keep you too long before you can get there (unless the curiosity has got the better of you already, and you've left me here on my own, and already jumped to the bottom! LOL). I'm pretty tired tonight, so my apologies if I'm not too coherent. Anyway, back to business ...

Yesterday was a wonderful mail day in general - in addition to Barbara's gorgeous gift, I also received an Ebay win in the post. I have to admit that after my huge financial blow-out last year, I've been avoiding Ebay like the plague so I'm not tempted, but Sharon and Gina told me there was a XS book called Allura's Australia in XS at a reasonable price - after seeing Sharon's copy first-hand, I decided I definitely had to check this one out ... so I did, and managed to win it for a sum total of AU$2.24 - daylight robbery on my part, is all I can say! I can't believe a hardback book of 192 pages and oodles of charts could go for such a paltry sum!! I honestly do feel as though I've robbed the seller - with postage included it came to a total of AU$10.64 - crikey!!! Am I grinning? You betcha! Thumbs Up

The other wonderful thing to arrive is my black aida ... finally!! It was supposed to arrive last week after being on backorder - but the supplier stuffed up and missed it off the back-ordered shipment, but it finally turned up yesterday. I was about to email off to the US organisers taking up an offer for them to send me some, as my Aussie supplier had fallen off the rails, but luckily it came through ... and that means I can finally stitch up my block for the World Trade Center charity quilt ... Cheerleader

So, that was my wonderful mail yesterday all sorted out ... The other good news I had today is that I had an exam at work for another permanent Hotline role - it was supposed to be next week, but the Supervisor running it has finally got a surgery date to get her gallbladder out, in two weeks time, right when she was planning interviews ... so we've been getting pulled in really quickly to sit the exam. And I passed, which means I'm at least over the first hurdle - 17 have applied for the job again, but I don't know how many have got to the interview stage ... but I'm now trying hard not to think about the outcome of the interview, as I'm appalling at interviews, and I wanted it too badly last time ... this time I'm going to try to 'go with the flow' and not end up with a couple of weeks off with cluster migraines over the whole situation ... what will be, will be!

OK, I've prattled on for long enough ... on to the great mail day for today ... oooh, no, before I do that, let me say I finally made the infamous Mars Bar slice today to take into work, and it went down a treat, with yet another two people wanting the recipe. Anyway, I figure it's always such a winner with people, I'd share it here as well ... if you decide to make it, your arteries will hate you for life, but your family, friends and loved ones that you share it with will love you for eternity LOL:

MARS BAR SLICE
Base:
3 x Mars Bars (approx 60g-65g each)
90g butter
3 cups rice bubbles
Topping:
200g milk chocolate
30g butter

Yup, that's all there is in it - do you see why I said your arteries would hate you? haha.

Base: Melt together the Mars Bars and butter in a saucepan over a low heat, making sure not to let it burn - keep mixing until it's a smooth creamy mixture (can take quite a bit of time). Mix in rice bubbles until they're all coated, then press down into the base of a greased 19cm x 29cm lamington pan (or equivalent dish - I usually add baking paper as well, as it can be a pain to get out!). Spread with the topping, and devour! (I usually pop it in the fridge to set properly, especially when it's roasting hot weather!)
Topping: Melt together the butter and milk chocolate over a pan of hot water (ie using a double-boiler).

Frazier heard I was making Mars Bar slice today and he put his orders in straightaway for me to save him some!

OK, now on to the best bit ... you see, you always have to leave the best bits until last ... Today I got an additional surprise in my PO Box (I really love my PO at the moment - they've left some wonderful surprises in that box!) - today I received a parcel from my very best friend of all time, Vicki, in New Zealand. Vicki and I have been best friends since we were 10 years old, so exactly 3/4 of my living days to date. Anyway, she is the most creative soul I've ever met - everything she touches creatively, she turns to gold ... she works in the scientific realm for her work, and comes home and does all sorts of crafts ... and every craft she has tried, she does it to perfection! If I didn't adore her so much, I'd hate her for being so bl**dy perfect haha. She seriously is amazing, and I'm very very blessed to count her as my best friend. I would most definitely give her both my kidneys if she ever needed them! And she really out-did herself with this little creation!!

So, what did this gorgeous creature do for my birthday? She created the most amazing tribute to our friendship - she has gotten into scrapbooking in a big way I think, and has put together a concertina book with photos from our growing up years and memorable occasions ... I'll photograph and scan the images so I can share it with you ...


Above is a photo of the other gifts as well, and I adore them all - another duck for my ever-growing collection (but I'll never ever have enough LOL) (the little duck was chosen by little Orion - boy, did he choose well!), and a lovely hand-bound book by a bookmaker (Rhonda Niven) in Motueka, Nelson. For those of you who are non-Kiwis, that's a fantail on the cover ... and of course everything is in my absolutely favourite colours (yep, turquoise is definitely my all-time favourite of all the blues). OK, on to the details of the concertina book Vicki made me ... here is a scan of the cover:
And the four inside 'pages':

And inside each of these 'pages' there is a little page that pulls out - this is the most amazing part of it ... I just love the contents of these!

I did say, though, that I'm glad I went to my PO Box before work and opened the gifts at work, 'cos if I'd done it at home I would have bawled my eyes out, I am so touched and honoured by this wonderful gift. The sentiment behind this gift makes it a treasure beyond compare, and it's something I'll continue to treasure throughout my lifetime ... Vicki, I love this gift with all my heart and then some ... if someone today offered me a million dollars for it, I would turn them down. I've always longed to own something that Vicki's created, and this exceeds all expectations ... yep, definitely "gob-smacked" and feeling well and truly blessed! As stitchers we all know how much time and effort goes into making something, so this is truly a labour of love ... and worth more than gold itself to me!

16Comments:

Blogger Dawn T. said...

The gifts are spectacular!

Have a wonderful weekend.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Your friend Vicki is a real treasure! That is the coolest gift! The pictures are wonderful, you look like you've had loads of fun together. :D

I'll be crossing my fingers on your promotion. :D

Thanks for the recipe too...although my hips are begging me to forget I ever saw it. ;p

Have a great weekend. :D

2:56 AM  
Blogger Schokti said...

What beautiful scrapbooking your *perfect* friend does! Certainly a treasure. I'm jealous of her talent! lol

3:04 AM  
Blogger Shelleen said...

what great gifts that you got but that scrapbook is just awesome and how lucky you are :-)

3:28 AM  
Blogger Nicole & Phil said...

gorgeous scrap book....what a treasure! I am glad your birthday has been great...and isn't it wonderful that it seems to keep going on and on!

4:12 AM  
Blogger BeckySC said...

Enjoy it all, Anne :) I love B-days that keep going and going :) :) :)

hugs :)

4:51 AM  
Blogger Litla Skvís said...

Oh wow! I am at a loss for words!
I have tears in my eyes just looking so I can only imagine how you felt when you receaved such an amasing keepsake.

You have a very good friend there :o)

4:55 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

Anne, the scrapbook is just gorgeous; what an incredible gift from the heart! You obviously have a lifetime best friend in Vicki!

And thanks for the Mars Slice recipe; I was thinking of asking you to email it to me and here it appears! :)

The XS stitch book was a steal--I'm jealous! I may have to try to find my own copy....

5:11 AM  
Blogger Mel in Dubai said...

I shall try again!!

What a wonderful and special gift, Anne! I am sure you will treasure it forever :)

Thanks for the recipe too - my kids will love it :) I think I can get Mars Bars here - lol!!

5:35 AM  
Blogger Mel in Dubai said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Myrna said...

Did I mention how much I enjoy your blog? Well, if I didn't, please know that I surely do!

What wonderful giftees you have received in honor of your birthday! Those are some special friends you have...

{{{Hugs}}}

9:26 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

What an awesome and wonderful gift!

Thank you for the recipe as well...it sounds incredibly "evil" (meaning awesome!!)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Von said...

Thanks for that recipe, Anne! Looks perfect for a very special occasion!
What an unbelievable birthday you had!! Thanks for sharing all the events and pics of your gifts. Vicki is indeed a very talented lady.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scrapbook from Vicki is just gorgeous, Anne! She is incredibly talented and that is such a wonderful tribute to your years together. Truly something to treasure forever!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh Anne! What an amazing gift!!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Chiara said...

Hi anne!!! You have a wonderful friend!!!This gift is very lovely!! Happy birthday with late but those days are terrific at work...i have no time to read anythings!!!
hugs

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home