Here you will often find my thoughts of the day, with the occasional vent - but first and foremost this is where I can share my passion for stitching.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Mixed bag of 'allsorts'

Daft title, but a bit of what this post is all about - a little bit of everything ...

First all I want to send a HUGE thank you and {{{hugs}}} out to BeckySC who sent me my final birthday gift - I have to admit, I knew this one was coming, but it was still a lovely surprise to open my PO Box door this morning and find that envelope sitting in there :) And not only that, but there was a gorgeous packet of cards as well, with bright blue butterflies on them - and this was extra special for me, as it reminds me of a trip I did with Mum to Cairns, Queensland when we visited the butterfly farm especially to see those big blue butterflies! Brought lovely warm fuzzies and memories flooding back - thank you so much sweet Becky, I really really love my gifts ... thanks from the bottom of my heart!

Today's SBQ is:


"Do you have an organizational system for your patterns? If so, how do you organize them? If not, have you considered organizing them?"
My physical charts are all in ringbinders, in plastic sleeves - they're mainly organised by theme, ie samplers, beading, hardanger, canvaswork, etc, and XS charts are organised by theme as well, ie marine, scenery, birds/animals etc - my ringbinders are on bookshelves. I have one ringbinder for freebie charts, and they're semi-organised into themes as well. Where I have a lot of designs for a specific designer, eg Mirabilia, L&L, TW, they all have their own ringbinder each. I used to keep a spreadsheet in Works that listed every single project/XS chart I owned, so I could do a search by topic etc, but I haven't kept that up-to-date for years ... and don't ask what number entry I got up to!! LOL.

Next subject ... dieting! Last week I did a blonde thing, and fell asleep on Tuesday night at 5.30pm ... and missed the sign-up for Weight Watchers - so last night I made sure I didn't miss out again, and am now officially a member of the clan. We've re-nicknamed it "Fat Busters" ... after one of our favourite UK comedy shows, "Little Britain" - very very sick humour, but extremely hilarious. One of my favourite characters in the first series was Marjorie Dawes, the leader of Fat Busters, which is like WW ... she's a right royal cow, and very rude to the members - I'd offer to share some episodes with you, but I think it would lose itself in the translation to just tell you about it. Let's just say that it had such an impression on our household, we still keep asking if we want a bit of cake, ... "cos we all like a bit of cake, don't we?!" And don't forget the wonderful game of "high fat ... low fat ... high fat ... low fat ... Dust!" As well as those other wonderful characters ... "Computer says no...", "Margaret ... Margaret ... Have we got any pirate memory games?", and Daffyd "The only gay in the village". Not to mention the non-stop talking Vicky Pollard, and the hysterical Lou and Andy ("I want that one ... I want THAT one ... I don't like it!") - and my latest favourite, because it's so incredibly 'bad' - "Just call me Bubbles!" If you like really funny characters, have an open mind, and want to have a very adult giggle, check them out if you haven't already done so - it might take a sketch or two to get into the characters, but once you do, you're hooked! It's the only TV series I have to buy the entire series on DVD as soon as it's released! These two actors are insanely clever and funny - hurry up and come out on DVD, Little Britain 3 ... I can't wait!!!!Anyway, back to the story, I'm now keeping a track of my eating etc, and trying the points system out for two weeks, to see if it works for me - otherwise I'll skip over to the no-count system instead. I'm paid up for 3 months regardless, so plenty of time to get into the routine of getting healthy again ... and I kicked it off well last night by coming home and going for an hour's walk up the beach (approx 3km).

Now on to something totally different (sounds like a Monty Python sketch) - do any of you clever Aussies know what this creature is? About 10cm in length, it has a caterpillar-looking thing inside that is bright orange with black stripes ... unfortunately, a noise startled it and it shot back in its cocoon while I was trying to take a photo. When I got home from work it was hanging by it's 'top' from the roof - obviously some sort of moth larvae or something, but I'd love to know what it actually is!

Well, I think that's about it for now ... still haven't shaken off my headache yet, but at least it's not a full-blown migraine yet. Took some Nurofen this morning to try to nip it in the bud, and it had eased off a bit by this afternoon - at least I get a sleep in tomorrow, as I don't start work until 11am yippee. Then I just have to work 11am-7pm Saturday (my 7th day straight), and I get two days off woohoo. I've got friends coming to stay for a week from Sunday, which will be OK - just a bit difficult as I'm on 5am shifts for a couple of the days. They wanted to bring a family member from out of town to stay as well while I was on 5am shifts, meaning they'd be sleeping in the lounge, but I put my foot down ... I just don't think I could cope with it even just for a few days. It means I probably won't get much stitching done again next week ... then H&P will be leaving, and I'll just have time to change the bedsheets etc, when a close friend will be arriving from Auckland, NZ for a couple of nights, followed by friends from Christchurch, NZ over Easter ... blimey, it's starting to feel like a Bed & Breakfast haha.

Anyway, off now to see if I can get motivated to pick up a needle - my eyes are like little slits, I'm so tired, but it's only 6pm and I really need to stay awake a bit longer ...

7Comments:

Blogger Rósa said...

I love Little Britain too :-) Just last night I was watching some episodes and yes I too love Marjorie, she's hilarious :-) That show is just the best comedy show I've seen for ages! Reading this post gave me so many giggles remembering some of the characters :-D

What a lovely package you got from Becky :-) I love that DT design, the three friends.. So pretty, I ordered it for myself so I hope I'll someday get up the nerve to actually stitch it :-D

7:01 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

I've almost bought the DT design a dozen times - I'll eventually give in. It's gorgeous!

I am just really glad we don't have big bugs here in Holland. At least none that I've seen. ;-)

9:33 PM  
Blogger Von said...

What a curious creature!! Hope someone can shed some light on its identity.
Becky sure hits the nail on the head with her gifts! Enjoy!!

4:21 AM  
Blogger Litla Skvís said...

*raises hand* I <3 Little Britain too!

"So they want me to star in it, write the theme tune, sing the theme tune" LOL! Oh, I have to go watch some of the episodes now! :D

10:32 AM  
Blogger Cathy B said...

I'll try to help keep you motivated if you try to help me keep motivated - I just joined WW last week; we had our first meeting this week. Once I lose my first 10% I'm going to reward myself with a $100 stitching shopping spree!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

AnneS - They are called case moths... If you 'google' it - it will explain what they are... No they don't have eight legs nor look at you with beady eyes... And no they don't creep up on you when you least expect it...They are safe and harmless... We have them around here too!!!!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, such lovely birthday gifts from Becky. I really like that chart; have seen it before and drooled over it. I can't wait for you to have a chance to stitch it so I can see your progress. :)

I hope that your headache is gone, dear friend, and that you're having a great weekend!

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home